Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Inspiration from The Wiz's Dorothy

The same night I started this blog I watched The Wiz on NetFlix.  I hadn't seen the whole thing before and I really enjoyed young Micheal Jackson lighting up the screen. Diana Ross is Dorothy and at the end of the movie, when they have discovered The Wiz to be a fake, Glenda the Good Witch explains to Dorothy that she has to Believe in Herself.  Well, that is the entire point of the story really.  She starts out too shy to talk to anyone at the big family dinner, but then Dorothy learns so much that when The Wiz asks her, "Can you do something for me?"  She comes back with this gem:

"They've had what they were searching for all along.  I don't know what's in you.  You'll have to find that out for yourself.  But I do know one thing - you'll never find it in the safety of this room.  I tried that all my life.  It doesn't work.  There's a whole world out there and you have to begin by letting the world see who you really are."

I whipped this up on vacation.  I want to make more in a slightly larger size to accommodate the lighthouse image, but I was pleased with the simplicity of this card.  It's an example of "less is more."


These images all come from the Perfect Day C1499 set, and the paper is Pemberley - one of my all time favorites.  (I'm such a blue jeans girl!!)  When I make more cards in a larger size I will have room for the quote which is:

Never give up,
for that is just the place and time
that the tide will turn.
- Harriet Beecher Stowe

So you see, making cards is therapeutic for me, and receiving them can be uplifting as well.

Now I just have to remember to get them in the mail!!

2 comments:

  1. I really like this card! The black images look like someone sketched them--in fact, I thought you had drawn them until I read that they were stamps. The rowboat on the back is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like to add something on the back for those of us who were brought up by the Hallmark commercials!! Actually, even before that, I was making my own cards in elementary school and branding them on the back!

    ReplyDelete